Friday, January 3, 2020

Weekly Win: Glossy Charcoal LG!

This is “Retrofest Shagadelic”, my lovely volunteer model.


As a collectibility model, the glossy charcoal Lonesome Glory is fantastic.  I’ve assigned him as a Thoroughbred Akhal Teke crossbred, and he represents a lovely memory of my time serving our hobby at Breyerfest.  One of the few volunteer models that doesn’t seem to have a name, this guy hangs out with his companion Breyer Velvet Rope Event piece, the Paparazzi model.

Perhaps I will get to another event or volunteer for BF again someday.  I’ve noticed the trend in OF collecting of popular limited models like glossed prize models or rare event pieces which many of us deem “unobtainium” when it comes to having complete congas.  I love such pieces and understand their value, but the few I have generally have more sentiment attached to them as they remind me of the events, the memories with fellow hobbyists, and travel journeys involved.  

People love their models for many reasons, and this one in particular stands for a “blast from the past” and a period of time in my life.  While I may not be huge on certain colors or finishes (or even some molds!), I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.  My very first Breyer was the glossy charcoal mustang*, so it was rather fitting that the 70’s theme piece reflected that.  He’s a very cool horse, and I’m proud to have him in my collection!


* those who understand the term Glossy “Sharkhole” Stallion understand it generally references the Running Stallion, not the color finish, but my mind still goes there and I laugh!

1 comment: