Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Spotting HSOs...another story

Today’s memory is inspired by this:


This weird little rider is also a parking lot refugee (motorcycle equitation, anyone?).

Spotting Breyers is a legendary pastime in which they are found “in the wild”...from spotting models in film and print media to unearthing treasures at flea markets and elsewhere, it is the “thrill of the hunt” that keeps us enthralled.  HSO = Horse-shaped object.  As I also collect Dogs and other animals, the trained eye spots most animal figurines rather easily.

I still think back to younger years, spotting two alabaster fighters tied to an outdoor sign, seeing horses in antique shops that were out of price range, even those ones that got away.  Sometimes we wonder what ever came of those models.  Sometimes we lovingly “rescue” them and clean them up!

I used to ride a bike trail near my folks’ home and the trailhead was beyond a strip mall parking lot.  Small businesses there included pet supply, print shop, ice cream, and some other unusual niche type boutique stores.  I remember cruising through an open part of the lot, speeding past the few lingering cars, when I sharply spotted something out of the corner of my eye.  I immediately swung around to backtrack and sharply stopped to stoop over and pick up this:



Only I could spot a mangled, headless,tailless, 1-legged Stablemate Thoroughbred Mare.  Of course she is in my conga.  We never know what ridiculousness we will find.

Keep your eyes peeled!  The world is full of such things.  Wonder what the 2019 media will bring - anyone spot any models in tv or movies yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment