Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Commissions

From time to time, I do projects for others.  Sometimes they are in gift or trade, and sometimes I am hired to produce artwork or hobby goodies.  This has varied wildly over the years dependent on a ailable time and energy as well as subject.  I don’t take on more than I can chew, and that has allowed me to enjoy it and produce quality results.

It is rare that I have turned down such opportunities art-wise, but I have had to be realistic about limitations.  What I may lack in resources I have found creative solutions for.  A recent 2D request was considered and altered based on years of life drawing, but I try to accommodate, especially in our hobby.

I also make it a point to seek out and collect others’ work.  It not only teaches but is supportive, fosters communication and education, and inspires me.  Trade agreements are also great for me Hobby-wise!  I keep my “books” open for individual opportunities but would never thrive as an artist dependent on a backlog.  Slots for props or unique items are always exciting!

Recent hobby discussion has made me consider what we create and why and how we sustain and support our hobby expenses.  What “side hustles” do you enjoy?  Do you create for commissions?  Do you seek out other artists’ work?  Let me know of your interests...

Many hobby niches go unfulfilled.  This is what I am passionate about finding and satisfying - both for my needs and to help others as well.  Reaching some goals takes creative resourcing, and our hobby village is a wealth of talent and creativity.

2 comments:

  1. When I first read your title I thought it said "Confessions" and was a bit disappointed that it was actually "Commissions" hahaha.

    I have never been artistic in a sense of painting or drawing. My artistic ability, such as it is, comes from a camera. I have tried tack making. Bad idea. I tried painting. Even worse idea. Even for my own enjoyment neither one worked out. So I just collect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can wield a can of spray paint, but that's it, so you can imagine how much I absolutely love the painting you did of Abby and surprised me with in June!! <3

    ReplyDelete