Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Catkins.

These are catkins.  The long, flexible caterpillar-like seed pods that shed from
Birch trees.  Technically, they are “flower spikes” that are pollinating each other.  I dread them for one week out of the year.  LOVE nature, but not what it does to us sometimes!

I used to play with these as a kid - from the time they were hanging in the low branches to the crunchy little twists in the Fall that disintegrated in my fingers.  Never had issues with them growing up.   They do make a mess and stick to dogs.  They make it hard to breathe now - bugging my sinuses and creating inhalant allergy.  It was a struggle to get good sleep.


They are EVERYWHERE and I struggle for that week.  Even the dogs are derping hard in this picture.  I love birch trees but not this.  Part of our environment, and we just have to deal.


Comparing dates, we are about two weeks behind, weather-wise, but perhaps
The rain will dampen the pollen a bit (yet kick up the mold?).  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment