Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Project Spaniel

My amazing assistants!

Last year I got the opportunity to travel to Purina Farms for my parent breed club’s National Specialty.  Every breed hosts a show just for their own breed and it is a delight to see so many all in one place, showing in conformation and performance classes.  As my dogs are older, accomplished guys, we weren’t competing there, but rather participating as part of breed education with my “Project Spaniel”.  Field Spaniels are not a hugely popular breed, but study of them in model
form (and as 2D art) also includes study of various Spaniel breeds they derived from.  I shared my collection with fanciers and included sections on history, color, conformational study (with a judging opportunity!), and unveiling of my work-in-progress “Endeavor” sculpture.  Dogs and people alike stopped by, including this Phaser grandbaby!

There are many varieties of Spaniel Sculpture (bear in mind, many are meant as Cockers, English Cockers, Springers, even Sussex) and they are of different materials and scales, so some creative allowance must be considered.  Dog people aren’t always privy to the model horse world, so it was explained and demonstrated.  My hobbies help each other and it is valuable for people to study without bias, so I think this was an interesting display.  Below are a smattering of photos from my display.  I was very happy to see these two Junior Handlers discussing their placements!


It was a unique concept, and received well.  I have always liked the idea of learning through models, discussing virtues and weaknesses objectively, and this gave folks that opportunity without personal attachment to real Dogs and breeders’ bloodlines.  I also got to see my crazy collection!  Enjoy!

















Thank you to family, friends, and fellow fanciers who “get it”!





No comments:

Post a Comment