Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Better Weather Cycles Through


I would have loved to go for a ride today.  I see groups and individuals out and grow a bit wistful.  I start by recalling the tricycle (yellow/orange?) and big wheel (purple, with red and yellow!)of my youth...and the yellow scooter I adored.
The Training wheels coaster brake junior bike!  Then the lavender banana seat drop handlebars mount of freedom that I learned on.  I remember polo with croquet mallets in a parking lot.  And flipping over headfirst because I thought I could do trick riding like the BMX neighbor kid (turns out sticking your foot in the spokes to do stoppies and endos is a BAD idea!).


I learned later and missed out on the bike rodeos school had but oh I got good on those Schwinn Ten Speeds!  My sister’s emerald green Varsity, and my charcoal Sprint...so much adventure!


There was a Columbia that I won for perfect attendance in there with the road bikes, and then a series of hybrid “mountain bikes” - ending with the beloved Specialized.  I drooled over Cannondales, rode a Trek.  Really had a tough time when I learned and then had to accept that I can’t ride anymore.  The desire to hop on and cruise was there...the sturdy frame was able and tuned...but agony set in every time.  I could barely walk it the few blocks back home, not getting the miles I wanted so badly.  I was very happy it went on to a very cool lady who sought that model.  It eased the emotional distress a bit.  I watch the groups prepare for summer tours and think about the RAGBRAI variety...an endless parade of bikes in all forms.  Then I move on.  This weather hits and suddenly I’m fighting tears and a lump in my throat.  I admit envy as green as the bikes themselves were.  I can relish the breeze and freedom in other ways, but remembering the wheels hurts almost as much as my body.  Ride on!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment