Sunday, June 9, 2019

Kids Lit: Pony Nostalgia

In regards to Children’s Literature, it can be really fun to revisit all the greats of our childhood.  I read everything about Dogs and Horses I could get my hands on and kept some with amazing illustration.  Recently I found copies of Doodlebug!  As an adult I find am somewhat of a nonfiction reader save for a few series in mysteries and other genres.  Most model horse folk grew up with Margierite Henry and Walter Farley books as well as classics like Black Beauty.  Wesley Dennis illustrations worked hand in hand with their Breyer likenesses.

I dug up these and now I want to find the others from the series:

(Circa 1960’s)

Such nice soft illustration!  Models represented.  I really appreciate talented artists.
  

My ex-library copy (from my old school district!) nof Blaze Shows The Way contained this list...


Will be on the lookout for the others.  Here is the complete series:

  • Billy and Blaze (1936)
  • Blaze and the Gypsies (1937)
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire (1938)
  • Blaze Finds the Trail (1950)
  • Blaze and Thunderbolt (1955)
  • Blaze and the Mountain Lion (1959)
  • Blaze and the Indian Cave (1964)
  • Blaze and the Lost Quarry (1966)
  • Blaze and the Gray Spotted Pony(1968)
  • Blaze Shows the Way (1969)
  • Blaze Finds Forgotten Roads (1970)

What are some of your faves?  Are the new prints still illustrated the same?


2 comments:

  1. We are thinking along the same lines! I am preparing a series of blog posts about horses in children's literature right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun!!! SO many great stories and illustrations...I just re-read “The Secret Horse” recently as it is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete