Saturday, September 7, 2019

Vintage CM found in wild!

I frequent an amazing local antique mall - selling and buying smalls and always enjoying the surprises I find.  Hitting the multiple levels takes time and energy, but it is so worth it when you find an amazing piece!  I hadn’t planned on going to the top floor yesterday after work, but I’m so glad I did.  I spotted a Classic sized Hong Kong pony and alongside it was a dark bay haired Morgan!

On first sight, his hair was a mess and he was a bit dinged up, but his blaze and repainted coat and kind eye sucked me in.  I liked that his incorrectly parked-out front end had been pulled in and his less-than-smooth filler was intact and not cracked and lifting.  A spot of lighterpaint on belly could be a covered signature.  Head, neck, and shoulder were reworked, Stallion bits added.  He is black bay with a wavy mane and tail.  Pretty despite some scuffs and some shiny clear glop behind his elbow.  He needed me.

I couldn’t resist - leaving him there would have haunted me.  Along with a couple other non-model finds, he came home with me.  No signature, just a tag that read 1970 which may or may not be accurate as the mold came out in the late 60s.  His style seems familiar but the artist identification eludes me.  Any ideas?!?  Here is “Haunted”, apropos for the season and situation...




Oh, I am just dying to know more about this dark mystery horse!  Please comment or email if you have any clues.  I am racking my brain over artists of an era gone by.  I have contacted local hobbyist and shared with other R/R/H aficionados.  It isn’t every day I find a vintage custom in the wild!!!

2 comments:

  1. He is quite the looker! What a neat find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed a lucky find! I hope you find out who made him. I'd be happy to ask on Facebook in the Vintage Custom groups if you'd like. Just email his picture to me and I'll get it done. :)

    ReplyDelete