Saturday, August 31, 2019

Weekly Winner - another first!

In the late 80’s, I got to attend a couple bigger model horse shows.  Marney’s IMHCC Congress was in its final years in northern Illinois and I was keen to show and peruse the lovely sales models!

My first custom purchase was a classic QHS done to a POA Gelding named “The Paisley Palette”.
Kris Markovich is IN sold him to me with his blanket and photos, and it started my passion for realistic vintage custom models.  Back then it was R/R/H which stands for remake/repaint/haired but he was not repositioned - just a “simple custom” done very nicely with a new paint job and mohair mane and tail.  His tail bone is a nail!  I became obsessed with the artwork of the talented Bev Zimmer, and we began to write back and forth.  I ended up acquiring a couple more models from her and we shared photos and horse experiences!  This was all by MAIL as the public internet had not yet been born.

He has been a tremendous show horse and still holds his own as a vintage custom.  I especially adore his lifelike eyes and striped hooves.  Studying her paintwork has been a huge inspiration to me!  As I consider so many “firsts”, and recall poring over Janet Piercy’s amazing model book, the pull towards a remade model was very strong.  This guy will always hold a special place in my collection & heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment