Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A tiny story

I mentioned my mother made dollhouse Miniatures, and aside from our fantastic little world of scale home and furnishings, I have fond memories of attending craft bazaars with my Mom (and sliding around the polished wooden floors of the mansion’s long halls was great fun!) back in the 80’s.  I still have some remnants of that dollhouse - a bit of food, the HR kitty, tiny dogs and a pony.


My mom taught me to look at things differently and to be resourceful when crafting.  She worked in sculpey clay and other materials - toothpaste caps made lampshades, sawdust from my dad’s renovation project was used, even the end of a rubber fishing worm created a jello mold on a button plate! I *still* look at things this way and use that to create model horse goodies.





(My Froggy Stuff has a tutorial for chocolates, Nichelle of Desktop Stables also created some, and this was my trial above.  The rider dolls deserve a treat, too!)

So, getting back to Miniatures from childhood, I have to share this tiny story.  Flash forward to these past couple years, when one of my passions of weekend thrifting/“Junqueing”/antiquing took me to a resale shop that has all matter of donated items - very often crafting supplies, old books and DVDs, a wide variety of household items and knick-knacks.  I always cruise the shelves and am sometimes rewarded with a Breyer or a little Hagen Renaker mini for a song.  Well, one day, I stop and bend over for a view of the little spice racks that hold such tiny items, and lo and behold, I see this tiny lamb cake:


I couldn’t imagine there are too many tiny handmade lamb cakes just floating around, hours from my hometown, 30 years later.  What are the odds?!?  It was in amazing shape and one of my best treasures ever!  I was just dumbfounded as I purchased the little pastry and explained to the cashiers that I was pretty sure I recognized this from my childhood.  I carefully wrapped the little delicate mini up and was just giddy with excitement  - couldn’t wait to share it with my family and confirm it as my Mother’s work (which she did)!

The world is full of tiny surprises - some we create, some we discover, and all are a delight!




No comments:

Post a Comment