Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Scale Miniatures

I grew up with a Mom who made dollhouse Miniatures (cool story on that later).  Scale modeling has always been of interest to me.  While painting and layering pastels, I have given serious thought and planning to some simple yet detailed upcoming projects for various scales.  That being said, I want to share a few things from the interwebs here...




Train scales, horse scales.  It doesn’t matter if we are talking animals, vehicles, figures, props, environment...the various scales must be considered in creating a lifelike effect.  

I remember reading about how if you collect all scales, you will then need all scales
of tack, props, and dolls.  This never deterred me.  1:6 is a bigger scale I have not dabbled in, but have seen quite lovely models and figures.  I got to drive and ride garden scale trains.  Alas, when space becomes a premium, I consider more Minis - In model horses this
equates to Little Bit/Paddock Pal scale and smaller, including Curio, Stablemate/Chips, Bantam, and Micro (also teeny tiny)!  Still, 1:9 Traditional is pretty amazing stuff.

Identify Your Breyer,  minizoosite, modelpferdeversande, and Breyer (as well as other hobby sites) demonstrate model brand scales.
  




Of course it applies to all things.  True in all model hobbies!  What’s YOUR favorite scale?



Performance-wise, and when it comes to readily available
Props and accessories, Traditional and Stablemate seem to be most workable.  Then again, some dollhouse scale (1 inch) items seem to be useful for Classics, and hobbyists get creative to provide for micros and any model they choose.  Next time you take a look at props or a model photo, notice how scale can make or break the realism.  Happy modeling!




No comments:

Post a Comment