Friday, February 15, 2019

That Third Dimension

2D art or flatwork has its own challenges to create depth that it physically lacks through perspective, light source, and shadow.  Creating the illusion of planes and curve relies on use of shading and highlighting.  Models are no different in needing those visual effects, but they are already dimensional and so have qualities affected by the environment.
It’s been a rough week for me migraine-wise.  Not a whole lot of progress when I’m down for the count and can’t see much.  On the NaMo front, not a whole lotta progress, but here’s hoping for better days ahead!  On that note I wanted to mention LIGHT (even when it is not my friend when sensitive!).  Working with an OTT light or natural sunlight gives me best color as opposed to low incandescent, LED, or awful fluorescents.  Compare true colors under them and see what I mean!

Three dimensional sculpts can also be tough when it comes to tack-friendliness!  I had to compare some (dusty) Breyer heads to this pony boy and consider his wild mane, forelock, and tail.  Started laying down dapples that will under sooty layers, and Fjord got a pale dun wash before I lost vision.
Glad to see again!  Hoping for a productive weekend/week now that we’re over halfway...
Happy Painting, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment