Wednesday, February 13, 2019

smArt Supplies

Much has been said about art supplies during NaMoPaiMo, from sealer and primers to paints, pastels, and pigments to brushes and pencils and more...

As an artist, I have always found experimenting with supplies is part of the process, and learned long ago to feel freedom in doing so!  USE WHAT WORKS.  If that’s a cheapie applicator or modified tool, groovy.  It is all about the journey and getting the results you want!
I *destroyed* brushes in college, not for lack of care, but due to my unorthodox techniques.  “Pushing” paint, or “scumbling” was my friend because I liked the texture and blend it gave me, but my enemy because it gets expensive to replace good sable brushes.

All this to show you some fun pictures and discuss a couple things!
Art Theory is important to a degree when creating.  Understanding how supplies work is what matters.  Here is a distilled “101” writeup I did for a painting class I used to teach.

 Mmmmmmm....pastels and pure pigments and acrylic paints!  I also adore colored pencils.

While I have some favorite brands and go-to supplies, I will just describe brushes today...

Some paintbrush terminology:
You have a handle (usually wood or plastic) and a ferrule (usually metal) which holds the bristles of natural or synthetic fibers.  Nylon, Taklon, and Sable or Camel brushes are popular.

Sizes range from single hair to very large.

Flats are just that - wide, flat array of bristles, good for covering area, smoothing
(Angled flats can be great for getting into crevices and for stippling effect)

Rounds - like a ponytail! Rounds not only apply pigment but blend nicely

Liners - thin, long bristles used for drawing line or detail, often nice for edges and markings

Filberts - my favorite victim, these are somewhat tapered to a rounded flat edge. This “squished yet shaped” brush can be versatile once control is established

Fan brushes and blunts and other specialty shapes are also useful.  Other tools can be used to apply paint too, of course, and sometimes smaller scales demand it.  Airbrushes are wonderful tools, too!
I haven’t forgotten sculpting and other supply - will save that for another day.  DO use proper protective equipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment