Thursday, February 14, 2019

heArt Supplies!

First off, Happy Valentine’s Day!  I hope that no matter your relationship status, you feel LOVE!

In the case of loving certain brands or supplies, there are definitely preferences for and against certain ones.  I use various media for different purposes, from cheap acrylic craft paints and white glue up to Berol Prismacolor colored pencils, pricey sable angle shader brushes, and oil paints.

Names like Brunzyeel, Derwent, Grumbacher, Sennelier, Rembrandt - this is the stuff of this artist’s shopping dreams.  My stash has variety, and I always enjoy trying something new!  My wishlist needs more JoSonja paints and replenishing of Golden acrylics and various clays.

Sometimes I don’t like a specific brand for whatever reason (say a texture or colors that have a greenish hue, perhaps how they work given a particular application) - many times they can be utilized in some other project.  One set of markers ended up going with me to work for office supply use.

Recently I scored some great alcohol markers of a “lesser brand” but find them to be every bit as good if not better than their Copic counterparts.  My other find was an older box of stick pastels that look to be high quality - older binders that have stood the test of time.  We have options as artists beyond craft supply stores with large suppliers like Blick or other online resources.  I stress again to Use What Works so long as it safe and producing results.  Consider things like cleanup and chemicals, cadmium pigment, and fumes.  Protect yourself and your work area!  Don’t forget about others in your home including pets.
                       

I most definitely have a brush addiction and believe in their proper care (“sizing” a brush means use of a material after cleaning/washing bristles to have them dry slightly stiff and keep their shape).  I hope to get back to oils - they are fun to paint with and the cleanup and drying time is well worth the rich, smooth, celebrity results.  A little goes a long way!  I do use a lidded palette for those.

Some supplies are funny - despite having lovely brush-friendly water containers, I often use recycled containers and simple cups.  Many plastic lids serve as mini-palettes!  Cardboard is also useful.

Recycle/Reuse/Repurpose/Reduce
SO many things can be used in everyday life or in art that avoid waste and environmental damage:
•Materials such as cardboard, plastic, fabric, paper
•Containers from jars to boxes may be repurposed
•Various objects make great tools!

A note about Quality: it is often true that you get what you pay for.  I recommend investing in high quality Tools as they will last over the long haul.  I do like the more expensive paints and pigments and drawing media that are AP certified.

               
At the risk of sounding like an art supply snob, there are other reasons for better quality supplies as well.  Longevity, lightfastness, and usage are a few.  You want your art to hold up over the long haul, not be disintegrating, crumbling, fading, flaking or falling apart.  You also don’t want to fight application and process every step of the way.  Some creation takes longer - drying and curing times, for example.  I combat the waiting on layers issue by juggling multiple projects so I won’t get frustrated.  There is a time and place for everything, from Quality/Expense to old stand-by favorites, and even loving the recycling bin.
  


                                           Happy Arting!

No comments:

Post a Comment